Design Research Methodology
23/9/2024-3/1/2025
FENG SHIWEN / 0374595
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Taylor's University
INSTRUCTION
TASK 4
Link to Google Drive :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aW4A_V0PjsKy_XYm3vhnkgzAvwDS3xQ8?usp=drive_link
Research reflection report & Recorded presentation :
Presentation slide :
Presentation Video :
REFLECTION
Experience
Through this semester’s design research methodology course, I gained many new experiences. My research topic focused on how RPG games can help improve mental health. I learned various research methods that I had never tried before. For the first time, I had to handle a large volume of information on my own, filter out what was necessary, and summarize conclusions related to my investigation. Initially, I chose to study how RPG stories affect different players simply out of interest. I believed that some RPG stories and characters could help players overcome challenges in their mental and real-life situations, which I personally experienced through a few inspiring RPG game stories.
After defining my preliminary research questions, the course helped me build a comprehensive research framework. During Task1, due to my lack of experience, my research objectives were initially too narrow. Later, I realized that focusing on mental health interventions provided a broader perspective to encompass my topic. Consequently, I adjusted my goal and formulated research questions centered on this theme.
Observation
Through this course, I observed how critical it is to learn and apply different research methods effectively. At first, I felt overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information, but with practice, I gradually became better at identifying relevant sources and organizing my findings. For example, during Task2’s Critical Review, I learned the importance of evaluating both the strengths and weaknesses of the literature I encountered. This not only enhanced my critical thinking skills but also helped me select reliable and relevant materials for my research.
I also noticed significant progress in my ability to refine research questions. Initially, my research questions were too limited, focusing solely on RPG games' potential to prevent suicidal behavior. However, with feedback and practice, I learned to align my questions with broader research goals. I later shifted my focus to how RPG games could intervene in mental health. Redefining my objectives provided a stronger foundation for the rest of my research.
Findings
From this course, I discovered the substantial potential of RPG games as a tool for mental health intervention. Their compelling stories, interactive characters, and the deep connection they foster with players make them stand out. My research revealed that these games can enhance emotional resilience and cognitive abilities by delivering relatable and personal stories. However, there are still challenges, such as the need for more clinical studies and addressing cultural differences in how players experience these games.
Ultimately, this course taught me the practical value of various research methods and the importance of flexibility in academic work. The skills I developed, such as organizing data, conducting literature reviews, and refining research questions, significantly helped me tackle challenging topics. I am grateful for my instructor’s guidance, which allowed me to achieve small but meaningful outcomes in researching entertainment design. I look forward to learning more about design research methodologies in the future.

Comments
Post a Comment